For our apartment, we need coasters. We can never find the ones we have and never seem to be enough.
A while back I bought some green and white yarn when I was buying wash cloth yarn that I liked, but didn’t have a use for. I decided it would be perfect to make coasters out of. While I was looking for patterns, I found one that I loved, but it was crochet. I thought, aww, screw it, I’ve been wanting to teach myself crochet, I’ll give it a go.
I started looking on the internet at videos and abbreviations and thought I had it all figured out, but after trying the first coaster 2 or 3 times, it just wasn’t working out. Then I asked the group I get together and knit with if someone could help me out. A meetup was scheduled just for crochet time and I went. They answered some really helpful basic questions for me that are so basic, the answers don’t seem to be anywhere cause people seem to think you have a basic understanding when you try to start. I did not. Anyway, turns out I was just missing something in the patten, but got it all figured out at our meetup. I have now made 4 coasters and I think I have enough yarn left for 1 or 2 more.
As I finished each coaster, I realized all but one looked off balance and not quite round.
Well, this particular pattern is meant to be done in 2 different colors of yarn, but I thought they looked a bit 70s, so I just went with one, which I like better. Well, because of that, I apparently haven’t been completing the edging all the way – I’ve been crocheting on the subway and not paying the best attention. If I was to have done these in 2 colors it would have been almost impossible not to complete the edging. So, now I have to go back and finish so they don’t look like amoebas. Other than that, I think they’ve turned out quite nicely.